Gas Boiler Safety Certificate

Share this Article:

Categories: Gas SafetyLast Updated: October 8, 2023By

Why You Need a Gas Boiler Safety Certificate (Gas Boiler Safety Certificate)

Gas Boiler Safety Certificate;

Landlords must obtain a gas safety certificate for all pipe work, appliances and flues at their property. Failure to do so could result in fines or even jail time.

Landlords must obtain a gas safety certificate annually for all their rental properties, including those with lodgers and exchange students.

Legal Requirements (Gas Boiler Safety Certificate)

Gas Boiler Safety Certificate;

No matter the type of property you own, it is imperative that all gas appliances, pipework and flues are checked annually by a Gas Safe registered engineer. Doing this will guarantee compliance with The Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998.

Landlords who rent property, such as residential dwellings, rooms to let or rental holiday accommodation, must comply with this legislation. These rules apply to all types of letting – from short-term lets like holiday cottages or bed and breakfast accommodations to long-term leases.

A Gas Safety Certificate is a document confirming that a system has been thoroughly examined by an accredited engineer from Gas Safe. It also details what was discovered and what steps must be taken to guarantee the safety of appliances and flues within your property.

Commercial premises such as eateries, bars, cafes and workplaces must obtain this certificate in accordance with The Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regs 1998. If you use an agent to manage your tenancy, they must receive a copy of this certificate before they can move new tenants in.

As a landlord, you can be fined if your gas appliances or pipes do not meet standards. In extreme cases, you may even face imprisonment or have your insurance invalidated.

You must take all reasonable measures to conduct these checks, such as notifying the tenant of the need for safety checks and providing them with a copy of your Gas Safe certificate. If necessary, multiple attempts may be necessary to gain access to the property.

Gas boiler safety certificates are an absolute necessity for all UK landlords and agents who rent out properties with gas. Not only does it help them abide by the law, but it’s also a crucial safety measure that safeguards both their tenants and property.

Within 28 days of completing a gas safety check, the document must be issued and displayed prominently at the property. A copy must also be given to each sitting tenant prior to beginning of any new tenancy.

Gas Boiler Safety Certificate

Safety Checks (Gas Boiler Safety Certificate)

A gas boiler safety certificate is a document that verifies that your heating system is secure and functioning correctly. It’s an essential step in protecting your home from carbon monoxide poisoning and other gas related hazards.

Maintaining your boiler and other appliances regularly is essential to guaranteeing their safety. A qualified engineer will inspect the boiler and other appliances to make sure they’re running efficiently, and any problems that have arisen can be quickly and safely rectified.

According to the size and complexity of a property, inspections typically take 30-60 minutes. If repairs are necessary, this time may extend if more time is needed for completion.

Landlords must conduct a Gas Safety Check annually on their rental properties as required by law, pursuant to the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998, enforced by the Health & Safety Executive.

Landlords must have all gas appliances owned by them in each property inspected by a Gas Safe registered engineer within 28 days of the inspection and provide their tenants with a copy of the certificate (CP12), or CP13).

A Gas Safe certified engineer can verify that all gas appliances in your property are secure to use. They also identify any issues with the system and suggest steps to take to prevent recurrences.

Gas checks will be performed on the flues and pipes that connect to appliances in your home, including the boiler. Since these can often be hidden behind walls or ceilings, engineers must be able to see them. This may mean installing inspection hatches so the technician has easy access.

Maintaining a Gas Safety Certificate is an invaluable way to shield yourself from legal liabilities and prove the system’s efficiency when selling property or proving warranty coverage. It serves two purposes: assurance that everything works as expected and proof of system functionality.


Gas boilers and other home appliances should be checked and serviced annually by a certified engineer to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning and guarantee your boiler functions optimally. This will help guarantee that all components remain in optimal working condition.

It is also advised that you obtain a gas safety certificate to prove your boiler was installed by a registered installer. This will guarantee the required safety protocols are followed and could help protect you in the event something goes awry in the future.

A gas safety certificate (CP12), also known as a CP12, is an official record of the gas appliances in a property that has been verified by an accredited engineer. Only registered Gas Safe engineers can complete this task and it’s strongly advised that you only trust them with work on your property or any rental properties.

Your Gas Safe certificate will display three codes, Immediately Dangerous (ID), At Risk (AR), and Not to Current Standards (NCS). Appliances marked either ID or AT Risk should be disconnected and not used until repaired; similarly, appliances marked Not to Current Standards should not cause harm to either property or its occupants.

Gas safety certificates are not a legal requirement, but it’s highly recommended to have one. Not only will this give you peace of mind that your system works correctly, but it may be useful if you plan to sell your property in the future or need proof of warranty coverage.

Your gas safety certificate may also be accepted as part of a home insurance policy. Some policies will require that the appliance is kept on file to demonstrate proper operation and that an engineer checks it annually.

As a landlord, it’s essential that all gas appliances in your property are secure and that your letting agent provides you with either the LGSC or CP12 before they move tenants into the property. Doing this will prevent potential gas leaks from occurring and protect tenants from carbon monoxide leaks.

Gas Boiler Safety Certificate


No matter if you are a homeowner, landlord or tenant, having a gas boiler safety certificate is an essential piece of paperwork that everyone should possess. This document certifies that a Gas Safe registered engineer has examined your appliances and tested them for safety.

The cost of a gas boiler safety certificate varies depending on who conducts it and your location. On average, prices for single appliances range between PS30-150; if you need multiple checks done simultaneously, prices may increase significantly.

In most cases, a Gas Safe engineer must issue you with a gas safety certificate after conducting an inspection of your property. Landlords who rent out their properties also need to obtain this legal document and provide it to the tenants as part of their lease agreement.

A Gas Safe engineer will conduct a comprehensive examination of all your appliances, such as gas boilers, cookers and fires. They’ll inspect pipework, fittings and flues to guarantee they are all in optimal working condition.

If the engineer detects any problems with any of your appliances or the pipework that supplies them, they will fix them promptly and at a higher cost than a standard boiler service since some appliances must be taken apart and replaced.

Another common occurrence during a gas boiler service is that the heating engineer may determine that your gas fire needs replacing. This requires taking apart the old unit and installing a brand-new one.

The cost of a new gas fire depends on its size; for smaller units, prices start as low as PS50 while larger models may exceed PS200.

A Gas Safe engineer’s inspection is a wise idea if you plan to sell your home or get a warranty for a new boiler. It will demonstrate to potential buyers that your gas system is secure and efficient, as well as giving you peace of mind that all appliances are working properly with no hidden issues.

Our Pricing

Our Gas Safety Certificate Prices
Gas Safety Certificate 1 Appliance £40
Gas Safety Certificate 1 Appliance £45
Gas Safety Certificate 1 Appliance £50
Gas Safety Certificate & Boiler Service £74.99


Check Out Our Other Services

Share this Article:

About the Author: LandlordCertificate

Leave A Comment

Recent Posts